SMath Studio can handle units; there's a large list of built-in units
available for the most common applications that could be easily extended by the user.
|Units are represented with an|| italic blue-colored font||.|
Insert a unit
To insert a unit, press the apostrophe ('
) and then digit the unit name; the placeholder shape will change and the dynamic assistance box can help you showing the built-in units (mouse pointer double-click
or press the TAB
key to insert the selected unit in the formula).
Alternatively you can add a built-in unit by the units window (CTRL+W
or menu "Insert
" > "Unit...
"), where you can easily find the unit by name or by family.
Evaluating an expression that contain units, the output will be delivered with the default units (SI base units); to change the output unit, write your favorite unit in the right placeholder.
the multiplication sign for units is hidden by default, so units like kN*
m are shown kN m
; to avoid errors the right way to type the unit is 'kN*'m
, not 'kNm
You may define/override an unit inside the sheet (simplest way) or handling the Units.xml
From the menu "Tools
" > "Options...
" you can change the units language.
The unit localization changes the way in which is written the unit of measurement.
Both built-in and custom unit description can be retrieved as a string using the description()
function; description's language depends on Interface language
|to inform the developers about issues you found out use the forum: bugs&problems|
Not all built-in functions work with units; to work with these functions divide the argument for the expected unit and multiply the result by the same unit.
The 0 value has no units. If you want a unit as output even when the result can be null, set the unit in the right placeholder.
Be careful in handling relative and absolute temperature units
; there's an open discussion here
. THIS IS SOLVED IN NIGHTLY BUILDS, SEE SMath 0.97.5301 or later
- SMath 0.87.3719 (Beta): first relase
- SMath 0.88 (Stable): first stable relase
- SMath 0.90 (Stable): translatable units implemented
- SMath 0.97.5280 (Nightly build): Units.xml changes
- SMath 0.97.5301 (Nightly build): Change units ΔC, ΔF and ΔRe added to package
- Introduction to SMath Studio 0.88 - page 15, PDF
- Video examples of calculations with units for hydraulics (G.Urroz) - See Part 2 SMath Studio
- Crib Sheet for SMath Studio 0.95 - PDF
- Crib Sheet for SMath Studio 0.90 - PDF
- Crib Sheet for SMath Studio 0.89 - PDF
- Crib Sheet for SMath Studio 0.88 - PDF
- Custom units examples - sm
- Unit.xml editing - SMath forum